Re: define-public vs. define-safe-public

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: define-public vs. define-safe-public
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 11:08:56 +0200

Malte Meyn <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> is there a clear policy which functions are defined public or
> safe-public? Asking for
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5517/ If I understand
> correctly what define-safe-public does I don’t understand why some
> things at the beginning of lily-library.scm are public and others
> safe-public.

Safe stuff cannot be used for breaching containment via Scheme, like
accessing files on disk.

Many functions that appear quite safe are not declared that way: this is
implemented rather cursorily.  The full LSR import gives a list of files
not working when using -dsafe; this list is humongous and does not
really reflect reality.  For anything serious, you'd rather rely on
containers.