Re: The behavior of "make check"

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: The behavior of "make check"
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 16:51:56 +0000

Given that make will not do anything if the source tree has not been changed, I
see no problem (and plenty of benefit) in having make check do the equivalent
of make && make check.

Personally, however, I prefer to do

make
make check

rather than

make && make check

because I want to see my build errors separately from any regression test
errors.  So even if make check became equivalent to make && make check, I would
continue to use the commands separately.

It seems to me to be not worth the effort to raise an alarm and then quit.

Thanks,

Carl

On 10/10/19, 10:44 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Dan Eble"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden>
wrote:

    Begin forwarded message:

    > Subject: [testlilyissues:issues] Re: #5564 Fix conversion warnings in
beaming code
    > Date: October 10, 2019 at 12:08:48 EDT
    > I'm sorry to contribute to your frustration. I can see what the process
is, but my question (which I direct to LilyPond developers in general) is
whether it is justified that make check run to completion using an out-of-date
lilypond rather than either rebuilding it first or raising some kind of alarm.
Must we continue to put up with it?

    > The purpose of make is to follow dependencies and do exactly what needs
to be done. The difference in behavior between these cases seems contrary to
that:

    > make && make check
    > make check
    —