Re: lilypond does not work with Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: lilypond does not work with Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 07:00:34 +0200 (CEST)

>> Well, right now you have to build MacPorts from source on MacOS
>> 10.15 – I guess this takes almost a day of compilation.  (I don't
>> have such an OS, by the way).
>
> The link I gave has an installer for MacOS 10.15, and it works. :-)
>    https://www.macports.org/install.php

This is irrelevant.  To build a distributable `mpkg', you have to
install MacPorts with a *different* prefix (i.e., not `/opt/local') so
that it doesn't interfere with the `standard' MacPorts a user might
have installed.  And for such custom MacPorts installations only
building from source works.

>> And note also that I haven't looked into how and what can get
>> stripped of from the mpkg bundle.
>
> I got the impression that is what the link you gave was about:
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2019-10/msg00047.html

As mentioned there, a script has to be written that does this
stripping, and I haven't done so.

> Also, lilypond-devel has not been updated to use gcc9.  I am using
> it for other things, so it would be good not having to install gcc8.

This will take some time – contrary to Joe User the developers *are*
interested why building with gcc8 fails.

I thus ask Catalina users who already have a *completely*
*regenerated* MacPorts installation[*] to check whether using gcc8
really fails to build LilyPond.  If it does, please file a MacPorts
bug ticket with all the details.

    Werner

[*]: This is essentially a complete re-installation of MacPorts from
     scratch, also installing the newest version of XCode and its
     command line tools before doing that.