Re: make check is broken (again) - patch testing seeming to taking more

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: make check is broken (again) - patch testing seeming to taking more of my time than I like
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 22:39:51 -0400

In the past month, I've devoted many hours to testing my submissions, but
clearly the effort is not achieving the goal.  I request some help to
understand how I can improve my pre-commit testing procedures, and where my
responsibilities begin and end.  I enjoy having my commits reverted as much as
others enjoy having their build broken--it is a big waste of pro-bono time--so
I want to understand the issues clearly.

How are build-breaking changes getting into the master branch? CG section
3.4.10 says that the reason for pushing to staging is that automated tests are
run before changes are moved to master.  What specifically is being tested?

And days before that happens, patches are announced as having been tested with
the feedback "Passes make. make check and a full make doc."  The evidence
suggests that that does not include running autogen, otherwise it should have
caught the problem with "tidy" that my own testing failed to catch.

Should things such as missing optional programs and new-ish Python syntax be
rejected at either of these stages?  If not, then it would seem to fall to the
submitter to set up an alternate development environment with Python 2.4, GCC
3.4, and similarly aged versions of other tools, and run additional tests in
that environment.

Thanks,
—
Dan