Re: mirroring lilypond on github

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: mirroring lilypond on github
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 22:49:11 +0100

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:24 PM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I'm going to call
> >
> >   git push --mirror address@hidden:lilypond/lilypond.git
> >
> > to update the github mirror.  However, this will cause the following
> > changes:
> >

> > To github.com:lilypond/lilypond.git
> >  - [deleted]               refs/changes/31/482031/1
> >  - [deleted]               refs/changes/31/482031/meta
> >  - [deleted]               refs/changes/32/482032/1
>
> Huh, don't know what those are about: they seem specific to GitHub (or
> this repository).

They are a side effect of my experiment with gerrit.
refs/changes/32/482032/1 has the first version of

 https://review.gerrithub.io/c/lilypond/lilypond/+/482032

and

  refs/changes/32/482032/meta

has the review metadata (votes and comments). They are stored in Git
as well for easy takeout.  Compare the conversation on
https://review.gerrithub.io/c/lilypond/lilypond/+/482034/ with the
refs/34/482034/meta branch.

It's OK to delete them though, as it was an experiment; I can submit
these changes through another process too.

> A mirror is a mirror: from that respect the push would not do damage,
> but any pull request or other magic that happened only at the GitHub
> site will be lost.
>
> So better wait at least a week for feedback before going ahead.  Sounds
> annoying, but it would be a shame to lose work from somebody who thought
> contributing via GitHub the right way to proceed.

contributions in GitHub are usually stored on a branch + fork owned by
the contributor, e.g.

  https://github.com/mikesol/lilypond/

branch code_of_conduct.