Re: Returns from Salzburg by train

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Returns from Salzburg by train
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 22:05:08 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Switching to devel,
>
> Am Mo., 20. Jan. 2020 um 21:30 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>>
>> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>> >
>> > Back at home now.
>> > My trail broke at Plochingen, which is close to the middle of nowhere ...
>>
>> s/trail/train/ ?
>
> train, ofcourse lol
>

>> I got home on schedule eventless.  Well, broken WLAN, but I had booked a
>> day of WAN at the first leg of the trip anyway.
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup
>
> No chance to work, any seat reservations were gone ...
> Once I had the luck to occupy one, I was too tired.
>
> Right now trying to compile guile-3.0. Will likely take a long time.
> Tomorrow evening I'll check whether LilyPond is compilable with this
> guile (ofcourse only if guile-building succeeds), as promised
>
> In case ´make-test-basline´ still fails, I plan to apply Han-Wen's patch
> https://codereview.appspot.com/545450043
> In order to test whether it makes a difference in this regard.
>
> Furthermore in Salzburg we said to try "latin 1"- encoding everywhere
> (for newer guile-versions).
> I'd need some assistance about the how-to, then I could test it as well.

I think that would require extensive changes in the C++ part of
LilyPond, so I doubt that "some assistance" would cut it.  I mean, all
of the following are certainly candidates:

dak@lola:/usr/local/tmp/lilypond$ git grep 'scm[_a-zA-Z]*utf8' lily
lily/engraver.cc:                grob->self_scm (), scm_from_utf8_string (file),
lily/font-config-scheme.cc:    scm_result = scm_from_utf8_string ((char const
*)str);
lily/general-scheme.cc:  return scm_from_utf8_string (buf);
lily/grob-interface.cc:  SCM d = scm_from_utf8_string (descr);
lily/include/lily-guile-macros.hh:#define scm_from_utf8_string
scm_from_locale_string
lily/include/lily-guile-macros.hh:#define scm_from_utf8_symbol
scm_from_locale_symbol
lily/include/lily-guile-macros.hh:#define scm_to_utf8_string
scm_to_locale_string
lily/include/lily-guile-macros.hh:scm_or_str2symbol (char const *c) { return
scm_from_utf8_symbol (c); }
lily/include/lily-guile-macros.hh:inline SCM ly_symbol2scm (char const *x) {
return scm_from_utf8_symbol ((x)); }
lily/lexer.ll:                yylval = scm_cons (scm_from_utf8_string
(YYText_utf8 ()),
lily/lily-guile.cc:  return scm_to_utf8_string (str);
lily/lily-lexer.cc:      *tail = scm_acons (scm_from_utf8_string
(keytable_->table_[i].name_),
lily/open-type-font.cc:      tab = scm_eval_string (scm_from_utf8_string
(contents.c_str ()));
lily/pango-font.cc:        char_id = scm_from_utf8_string (glyph_name);
lily/translator.cc:                                 scm_from_utf8_string
(desc), static_properties);
lily/tweak-engraver.cc:                    grobname = scm_from_utf8_symbol