Re: packaging lilypond as a docker container?

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: packaging lilypond as a docker container?
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 08:17:49 +0000

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 10:05:23PM +0000, Carl Sorensen wrote:

>     Wouldn't it be much more simple to build lilypond as a Docker application?
>
> I don't know anything about building lilypond as a Docker application.  If it
> were possible to execute a docker application from the command line in MacOS,
> then I think that would meet my requirements.  I need to be able to have
> multiple binaries installed so that I can run multiple versions from
> Frescobaldi.

Running docker on MacOS requires a virtual machine running Linux. The
Docker for desktop app for MacOS hides that detail away from the user
for the most part.

It is technically possible to do what you want (make it so Frescobaldi
can call multiple versions of LilyPond) with docker, but there would be
some work involved: you'd probably need to have one-liner shell scripts
for each version of LilyPond that execute the relevant container.