Re: packaging lilypond as a docker container?

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: packaging lilypond as a docker container?
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 08:53:11 -0600

On 1/22/2020 4:36 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
I have no experience with Docker and containers.

The one time I tried Docker on Windows, I was put off by the setup effort that seemed intended to initiate the user into an entire worldview and ecosystem. Docker seemingly didn't provide an easy way to download their software without creating an account at their place first. That's behavior I expect from Google, Apple, and Microsoft, not an open-source project. After some digging, I think there was a direct download link somewhere, given in a forum post. But then after the install, Docker seemed pretty non-functional until I logged into my local software with a Docker account.

Okay, okay... I sort-of get why they're doing this, I can deal with it.

BUT THEN the command-line window for the Docker container kept going non-responsive on me, needing a kill with Windows Task Manager. Research turned up the sorts of sprawling forum threads that I'm used to seeing for failed Windows updates. Lots of suggestions, most aren't helping, the problem seemed like an unsolved mystery. And the answer that seemed most promising would have been non-trivial to implement.

At that point, I retreated back to VirtualBox, Hyper-V, and Windows Subsystem for Linux. I was getting too far removed from LilyPond to not feel like I was pursuing a dead end.

IN DEFENSE OF DOCKER, all of that is from memory and I can't recover the exact details without research. I'm sure my experience is not representative and that Docker is actually great. No way could it have as large of a following as it does otherwise. I'm just unfortunate to have never seen Docker's best stuff or completely understand why I need it. Someday™ I plan to try again.

But the conclusion I came to is that setup effort for Docker on Windows is not much different than for VirtualBox. (Unless, of course, someone's going for the full VirtualBox experience with host-guest shared clipboard like in that other thread right now. I never got that working on LilyDev, either, making do with network file shares and such to move things to and from the VM.)

Docker on Windows is apparently changing a lot, too. Windows Subsystem for Linux is now going for a full Linux kernel, and allowing Linux file access and execution from the Windows environment containing it. Haven't checked for a while, not sure where Microsoft is at with that effort, but Docker seems to be building on it.

<https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-windows/wsl-tech-preview/>
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA