Re: GUILE 2.2 progress

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: GUILE 2.2 progress
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 15:03:08 +0100

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 2:45 PM Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Compiling the same file with my slow loptop and
> released 2.19.83

..
> Without the error with string-append

interesting. I was on 2.2.4; maybe these were bugs fixed in 2.2.6 or
beyond. Let me see if I can upgrade things.

> > These timings are internally consistent: if we can do byte-compilation
> > on the .scm files (which would make the SCM reading instantaneous),
> > and get the GC overhead down, we'd be at the same performance level of
> > GUILE 1.8.
> >
> > What do folks think is more important? Reducing GC overhead is a win
> > on large scores, while byte-compilation will make compile/edit/debug
> > cycles faster.
>
> Having a slow laptop, I'm always in favor of speed, though I didn't
> understand what benefit you expect by "reducing GC overhead".
> Could you explain?

Compiling the .scm files happens once, and is a fixed cost. The fixed
cost is large when you process a tiny .ly file, but it is neglible if
the file is large.

The overhead of the new Garbage Collector is likely proportional to
the size of the input, and is the cause that GUILE 2.2/3 will be about
50% slower than GUILE 1.8.