automated formatting

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: automated formatting
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 10:30:57 +0100

I want to propose to move to automated formatting for our C++ code.

I put up a .clang-format code that mostly mimicks our style at

  https://codereview.appspot.com/561340043

I have a lot of good experience with automating code formatting.. It
removes drudgery for code authors, obviates discussions over style in
code review, and generally elevates the level of discourse in our
reviews.

What do you all think?

The current config modifies about 11k lines, mostly because of
different line breaks (necessary to keep the 80 column limit.)

If anyone wants to tinker more, see
https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ClangFormatStyleOptions.html
for further options.

Obviously, reformatting code makes patches harder to transport, so
we'd have to do it on all active branches at the same time.