Re: automated formatting

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: automated formatting
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 09:05:59 -0500

On Jan 27, 2020, at 07:43, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Frankly, I just forgot about either.  I think it would be a good idea to
> take up this practice again.  Regarding Clang: unless Astyle falls apart
> using C++11 constructs that are going to occur more frequently in
> future, I think there is little reason to depart from its use instead of
> reverting to Clang.

I have learned not to fuss about the particulars of required style as long as I
have the following:

1. a simple way to exclude sections of code manually

2. a style check integrated into "make check"

3. a makefile target that automatically restyles all source so that "make
check" will pass.  Only the files that need to be modified are touched.  This
runs only when requested, never as a prerequisite of any other target.
—
Dan