Re: Use define-syntax for define-session[-public] (issue 553480044 by ad

From: dak
Subject: Re: Use define-syntax for define-session[-public] (issue 553480044 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2020 04:11:08 -0800

On 2020/02/03 09:49:32, hanwenn wrote:
> On 2020/02/02 15:28:44, dak wrote:

> > That's what I am trying right now, but you cannot quote outer
functions as a
> > value either (the problem is the value, not the innerness) so you
need to do
> it
> > by name and I would like not to have to export it, so I try with (@@
> guile-user
> > define-session-internal) but haven't found the right incantation
yet.  Still
> > fiddling.  If it cannot be avoided, it will end up as an exported
> > define-session-internal .
>
> I don't get it. define-session is not a public macro either.

No, I don't get it.  Darn, you are right.  So the cross-module issue
does not exist and just using 'define-session-internal should be fine.

> What is wrong with the code I propose in this change?

You mean define-syntax?  I'd like to avoid it for now since people have
no way of getting acquainted with it, and most new developers have never
worked with Scheme before.

> > > What is the problem precisely with void ? I assume that is not
about
> > > define-session but for define-music-function, which looks like it
has a very
> > > complex macro expansion.
> > >
> > > Can you provide a repro scenario?
>
> > But basically the symptom was just that using define-syntax in a
typical
> manner
> > from inside of a LilyPond document crashed with some error
completely
> unrelated
> > to the actual input.
>
> would be good to have an actual patch along with the failing .ly to
examine more
> closely.

I can try again but the only way in which it would be relevant is if we
forked Guile-1.8.8 and started fixing bugs in it.  I've reported it
already but it has been declared as wontfix.  The report is
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17096>

https://codereview.appspot.com/553480044/