Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 18:17:20 +0000

On 2/5/20, 7:40 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of David Kastrup"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden>
wrote:

    Mike Solomon <address@hidden> writes:

    > Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> śr., 5 lut 2020, 00:34 użytkownik <address@hidden> napisał:
    >>
    >>> What problem are we trying to solve here?
    >>>

    >> In short, it's been found (I think Mike will be able to give you
    >> specific
    >> examples) that having code of conduct encourages contributions from
    >> newcomers.
    >
    >> I rather think that a friendly atmosphere encourages contributions
    >> from newcomers.  Whether an upfront requirement to commit to a set
    >> of rules with an enforcement team is perceived as a guarantee of a
    >> friendly atmosphere is debatable.
    >
    > I personally would feel more comfortable if there were a code of
    > conduct, and I know within my company one employee will not attend a
    > conference or participate in a project unless there is a code of
    > conduct.  I don't have any hard stats to prove this, but have a gut
    > feeling that a code of conduct opens more doors than it closes.

My gut feeling is the opposite.  Upon reading the Code of Conduct, it felt to
me like it was proposing a private channel for a mean-spirited
passive-aggressive person to wreak havoc on the community.

Now, I do not feel like we have any such individuals in our community.  So in
the best of all possible worlds, there is no harm to a code of conduct.  But in
the best of all possible worlds, there is also no need for a code of conduct.

In the worst of all worlds, the lack of a Code of Conduct can lead to
individual bullying. In the worst of all worlds, a Code of Conduct can lead to
systematic bullying, where an anonymous complainer gets the weight of a
bureaucracy behind the bullying.

I don't believe we have the worst of all worlds.  I don't believe that any
individual behind the proposal for the Code of Conduct has anything but the
best intentions.  I want to see the LilyPond community be a friendly, welcoming
place for all.  I believe that it largely is a friendly, welcoming place for
all.

For me, personally, I find the Code of Conduct approach with its implied threat
(if you don't obey, we'll punish you -- in fact, we've spelled out the
punishments in the document) to be much less friendly than a public statement
that we value an open, respectful, and friendly environment and we call on all
to participate in it.  The Code of Conduct approach feels like taking a
sledgehammer to squash a fly.

I recognize that Mike Solomon has a different opinion.  I mean no disrespect to
Mike, Janek, Han-Wen, or any other member of the LilyPond team.  I highly value
the team spirit of the LilyPond team.

I would be less likely to participate if we make the proposed Code of Conduct
part of our LilyPond environment.

Thanks for listening,

Carl