Re: [RFC] switch to GitLab / gitlab.com

From: pkx166h
Subject: Re: [RFC] switch to GitLab / gitlab.com
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 21:02:33 +0000

On 05/02/2020 16:13, Dan Eble wrote:
On Feb 5, 2020, at 10:09, Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:
required to synchronize the review and the associated issue. I propose
to start using GitLab hosted on gitlab.com [4] for all of this:
Repository, Issues, and Merge Requests (MR) for reviews. It was
evaluated 'C' in 2015 [5] and should be an 'acceptable hosting for a
GNU package' [6].
Fine with me.  I don't expect to donate my time to make _any_ move happen, but
I'd accept working with these tools to get my patches into LilyPond.  It could
hardly be worse than the current combination.
—
Dan

Let's assume this all 'comes to pass' what is, or how will, the transition of what I do now be expected to happen?

How much (if anything) will I still need or be expected to do?

These are rhetorical for now but will need consideration.

You will need suppose a testing phase and then a cut-off point from the current patch review process.

(N.B. I really don't mind if the answer is that I'll be required no more and I am out of a 'job' so to speak, I am not looking for empathy, all that I am concerned with is that we don't end up with different developers/patches working in two systems in parallel (if you see what I mean), and that at the end of it all we still have the ability for 'drive-by-patches' from developers or contributors whom today, just like to send in git-formatted patches).

James