Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 09:37:25 +0100

Werner,

czw., 6 lut 2020, 03:46 użytkownik Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> napisał:

> > The preamble and intent is one thing; adding a corrective committee
> > with the authority to enact punishments based on anonymous reports
> > is another.  It implements hierarchies and institutions exerting
> > coercive power based on incomplete and secret information.  That is
> > inherently an entity offering an opportunity for "pulling strings".
> > I am not really a fan of constructs with a life and dynamics of
> > their own.
>
> Indeed.  Norbert Preining, one of the TeXLive maintainers (I know him
> personally) and maintainer of TeXLive in Debian, was victim of exactly
> such a process.[1] He got banned being a Debian developer, and it was
> never explicitly explained to him why.
>
> So what about having a CoC without the 'corrective committee'?  Up to
> now this worked quite nicely.

Excellent and very constructive feedback!

I'm okay with having CoC without "enforcement committee". I also think of a
third way: having a committee without any special enforcement powers. As
in, "here are 3 people that the community considers trustworthy, if there
is a problem you can ask them for help".

Janek