Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: Benkő Pál
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 12:03:20 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2020.
febr. 6., Cs, 0:32):

> I'll try to speak only on the most pressing points to avoid bloating the
> discussion unnecessarily.
>
> I stopped contributing to LilyPond about 6 years ago. One cause of that
> change was that I got a job and suddenly had much less time. But it was not
> the only cause; it would have been possible for me to contribute at least a
> little. The reason I did not was that participating in the development had
> been too emotionally draining to endure. In my experience LilyPond has
> (used to have?) huge inertia (disproportionate to the size of the project).
> I mean (more or less, please consider this to be an approximation) that
> when I tried doing things that didn't clearly align with the views of a
> person with most authority (for the last few years David has been this
> person) I had felt *unwelcome* and my personal impression was that they
> were "blocked". It was very difficult to get some things done.

You seem to be impatient.  In late 2011 LilyPond broke my renaissance
scores (with a fix that uncovered decade old latent bugs --
assumptions that were false since long, though probably true when the
code was first written), and to get them right took me a _year_ of
issues, reviews, reversions, misunderstandings, messing up the
submission process and my breaking other people's scores several times
(to get just a glimpse, take a look at issue 2783).  I thought that my
patches were obviously trivial bug fixes, but to keep LilyPond
operational, I (or rather, we, with David and Keith) had to think
about the design, not only particular lines of code.  When my last
commit reached master in late 2012, it was quite different (and far
better) than when I first submitted it.  and the process taught me
that David is arguable and well worth respecting.

> Since David has more time available that many of us (who have a
> non-LilyPond job), and apparently limiting email volume is not a high
> priority for him.

I'd describe this as David taking great pains to express himself
unambiguously, knowing well the communication problems.

I'm inactive as contributor because renaissance notation is stable,
and when some rare need arises, I can handle them by user level scheme
coding.  a CoC wouldn't make me more willing to contribute.
Contributing to LilyPond is hard, because it's a complex piece of
software with a long and complex history; people most interested in it
are musicians.

Pal