Re: How to deal with failing 'make test-bseline'

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to deal with failing 'make test-bseline'
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2020 16:12:17 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Bringing some offlist-discussion back to the list because it may
> interest more people
>
> Am So., 9. Feb. 2020 um 12:44 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>
>> The output of "make test" starts with a line "for tracing crashes, run
>> the following command" followed by some obscure grep recipe.  I have no
>> idea what this recipe does, but I have no idea how people have a chance
>> to find problems without using it.
>>
>> In this case, it pinpointed the problematic file, and running that
>> manually gave the error message in question.
>
> Ok.
> I started from scratch (without #5743), thus 'make test-baseline' _should_
> fail.
> And it does.
>
> The message
> Please see
> /home/hermann/lilypond-git/build/out/lybook-testdb/snippet-names-4cf679323625678e6dfeeb9e33801c5e.log
> points to a log-file containing nothing else than the version.
>
> Doing
> ~/lilypond-git/build (master)$ grep sourcefilename `grep -L
> systems.texi out/lybook-testdb/*/*log|sed s/log/ly/g`
> returns:
> \sourcefilename "/home/hermann/lilypond-git/input/regression/slur-rest.ly"
> Compiling input/regression/slur-rest.ly works like a charm, though.
>
> So what does this mean?

That slur-rest.ly was likely on the slate of LilyPond when this bombed
out.  Did you manually compile using

out/bin/lilypond input/regression/slur-rest.ly

or did you use some other command line?  It is worth noting that
slur-rest.ly looks very harmless.

Only ASCII characters and the single occurence of # is as

\layout { ragged-right = ##t }

> Am I missing something?
> Or is the whole repo corrupted and I should restart with a fesh clone?
> (At least this is not the repo I push from...)

I don't think corruption can easily explain that.

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".