Re: Integration of Guilev2 branches into master

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Integration of Guilev2 branches into master
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 20:39:24 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 11:43 AM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, there are still 3 unmerged patches marked XXX in the (now rebased)
>>> branch dev/guile-v2-work .  They are unmerged because they are marked
>>> XXX .  Here is the list:
>
> Ah, very good.  I'll back out this particular abomination from the
> branch then.
>
>>> The build process changes look like a can of worms: if we could make
>>> LilyPond switch itself into an UTF-8 environment reliably without
>>> looking at the actual environment, that would likely be preferable.
>>>

>> Yes, I agree.
>
> It's basically all due to the (setlocale "") call (or what it was)
> that switches on the local locale.  If we had any dependable locale
> name to put there, we would not need to rely on the external locale
> being suitable for utf-8.
>
> Of course it would be even better if we could work with utf-8
> internally but converse externally in the specified locale, but I
> think that is likely overoptimistic.

I haven't been able to produce a problem in indexes in either PDF or
HTML (have not checked Info yet, though) in current master (the
display-lily-test fix is required, but that's different).  Sorting order
is conceivably affected, but I don't think there is anything important
enough right now to bother with the remaining two patches.  At least
with regard to the previous guile-v2-work branch, I think master is now
reasonably current.

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".