Re: Integration of Guilev2 branches into master

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Integration of Guilev2 branches into master
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 22:22:35 +0100

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 9:44 PM Thomas Morley <address@hidden>
wrote:

> One is called 'filename.ly' the other 'filename_名字♯.ly
> <http://xn--filename_-3j3fv107b1jsa.ly>'
>
> Observations
> (1)
> With 2.19.84 both files are found and compiled.
> 'filename_名字♯.ly <http://xn--filename_-3j3fv107b1jsa.ly>' needs approx
> double time for compilation, though.

the chinese fonts will require embedding a potentially large unicode font,
maybe that explains the slowness?

> (2)
> A guile-2 build from current master is unable to find the file.
> warning: cannot find file: `filename_?????????.ly'
> fatal error: failed files: "filename_?????????.ly"
>
> This is not new, thus I'm used to put in the attached patch, setting
> locale to help ly:load

I have the feeling that the locale setting may affect much more than just
the path finding for ly:load.

> The file 'filename_名字♯.ly <http://xn--filename_-3j3fv107b1jsa.ly>' is
> found now and compiled.
> Alas, now the compilation time of 'filename.ly' is approx x4 (not
> surprising)
> And the timing for 'filename_名字♯.ly
> <http://xn--filename_-3j3fv107b1jsa.ly>' is approx shocking x16 (with a
> huge halt at 'Layout output to ...'-stage)
> Both compared to 2.19.84
>
> Any way to improve?

How are filenames encoded on Windows? What does GUILE do when you ask it to
open a file with a unicode name? (does it know to encode as utf8?)