Re: Staging broken.

From: James
Subject: Re: Staging broken.
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 13:33:30 +0100

Hello,

On 18.02.2020 11:59, David Kastrup wrote:
David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

Hi, staging does not compile anymore.

Making lily/out/keyword.o < cc
Making lily/out/simple-spacer-scheme.o < cc
Making lily/out/episema-engraver.o < cc
Making lily/out/lyric-extender.o < cc
Making lily/out/includable-lexer.o < cc
Making lily/out/timing-translator.o < cc
Making lily/out/pango-font.o < cc
Making lily/out/part-combine-part-iterator.o < cc
Making lily/out/horizontal-bracket.o < cc
/tmp/lilypond-autobuild/lily/pango-font.cc: In member function
'Stencil Pango_font::pango_item_string_stencil(const PangoGlyphItem*)
const':
/tmp/lilypond-autobuild/lily/pango-font.cc:229:28: error: invalid use
of incomplete type 'PangoFcFont' {aka 'struct _PangoFcFont'}
  229 |   FcPattern *fcpat = fcfont->font_pattern;
      |                            ^~
In file included from /usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangoft2.h:29,
                 from /tmp/lilypond-autobuild/lily/pango-font.cc:20:
/usr/include/pango-1.0/pango/pangofc-font.h:47:16: note: forward declaration of 'PangoFcFont' {aka 'struct _PangoFcFont'}
   47 | typedef struct _PangoFcFont      PangoFcFont;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~~~
Making lily/out/clef-engraver.o < cc
Making lily/out/key-performer.o < cc
make[1]: ***
[/tmp/lilypond-autobuild/stepmake/stepmake/c++-rules.make:5:
out/pango-font.o] Error 1
make: *** [/tmp/lilypond-autobuild/stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make:6: all] Error 2

I'll back out the Pango related commit and retry.  It is a bit of a
puzzler to me how this could have passed testing.

Actually if you look on the tracker you'll see that I wrote

'Passes make, make test-baseline, and a full make doc.'

This is probably my fault misunderstanding what can and what cannot be 'tested' after 'configure' has been run.

For example, as far as I can remember/tell if I *.ac files are patched then when I run

./autogen.sh --noconfigure
mkdir build
cd build
../configure
make
make test-baseline

and THEN I try to apply the diff, I get some 'error' about the file being newer (or something, I cannot recall without doing it) as when you run the patch tests you are not re-running autogen/configure.

I am not versed enough to probably articulate myself here, but anyway, I assumed that I could never patch any of the make/config files because they never get re-done for the workflow that I have been using.

So I just apply these 'make file' patches to master and build from that without the make check (this way I figured at least that I'd test most of the patch because it would still have to build the reg tests and the docs).

So sorry for that. Obviously I need some education here.

James
---
Regards

James