Re: #5703 Run scripts/auxiliar/fixcc.py imminent

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: #5703 Run scripts/auxiliar/fixcc.py imminent
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 10:38:22 +0100

Am Samstag, den 29.02.2020, 02:36 +0100 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Hi, I've run scripts/auciliar/fixcc.py on the stable branch now.  So
> that it is reasonably easy to cherry-pick new commits from master into
> the stable branch, it would make sense doing that in staging/master as
> well.  This is a common base heeding our previously established coding
> style mostly.  As Han-Wen noted, it does not try establishing consistent
> spacing around template arguments, possibly because it cannot completely
> reliably distinguish them from comparisons without semantic analysis.
>
> So this may well not be the last word on how we are going about
> formatting.
>
> When I actually do run scripts/auxiliar/fixcc.py, it is comparatively
> likely that it will be sort-of a pain regarding having to rebase already
> developed but not yet committed patches.

In case somebody does get hit, here's what I think we have been doing
in another project for outstanding changes:
1) Reformat on top of the patch, so you'll kind of the get the same
baseline as the updated master.
2) Merge in the updated master into the branch holding the patch(es).
Cross fingers that git does most of the hard work for you.
3) Do a diff to the previously merged master. This should be your
changes that you can now copy (git diff -> git apply) to a fresh
branch.

Of course this only works if you don't care for the history, ie only
want a single patch. Or you'll have to go through the process of
splitting it again after copying it to the branch.

Jonas