Re: How do I change LOCALEDIR?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: How do I change LOCALEDIR?
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 20:42:09 +0100 (CET)

>> I don't think that the logic flow is wrong.  The idea is to have
>> translated error and warning messages as soon as possible.  At the
>> very beginning, lilypond only knows about the compile-time
>> LOCALEDIR location.  Later on it checks the LILYPOND_LOCALEDIR
>> environment variable, and finally the relocated version of
>> LILYPOND_LOCALEDIR.
>
> Why does it need to check the LILYPOND_LOCALEDIR environment
> variable at all if the relocated parameter is present?  It seems to
> me that it should only ever need to look at one of those, but
> perhaps I’m not understanding something.

Let's assume that a user sets the LILYPOND_LOCALEDIR environment
variable manually for experimental purposes but not in the relocation
files.  To get translated messages early it makes sense to set up the
locale before parsing the relocation files.

Additionally, the code right now is simple.  Calling `bindtextdomain`
multiple times is not expensive, AFAIK.

    Werner