Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 22:06:24 +0000

On 3/8/20, 3:30 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Marnen Laibow-Koser"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden>
wrote:

    On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 5:10 PM Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:

    > > Why would there be a synchronization issue? I’m not sure I under stand
    > the problem you’re envisioning.
    >
    > Because I'd be building the documentation and the website and all the
    > other binaries, and you'd be building 64-bit Mac.  If I release 2.21.2
(for
    > instance) and it's not already on the website as a 64-bit Mac build, it
    > will be a dead link.  So we would need a system to synchronise GUB builds
    > and 64-bit Mac builds.

    Wouldn’t they all be triggered off the same Git event?

It seems to me that nightly (or git commit related) builds would have the
version of the *next* unstable release.     So a script on Marnen's site that
builds an app bundle and uploads it to lilypond.org would have the release
already on the website *before* the GUB build was released.  However, this file
wouldn't be linked anywhere on the website, so nobody would have a link to it
(although, I guess they could guess what it is, since it has a known name
structure).

When an official release is made, the already-existing file is on lilypond.org.
 And the next periodic build from Marnen's site would be for the *next*
unstable version.

So I'm in favor of

* Giving Marnen's CI site access to upload files at lilypond.org
* Using CI to provide regular upload to lilypond.org of the *next* stable
version of lilypond.

Also, I'm in favor of automating Marnen's process as a test for future possible
automation that doesn't use GUB.

Marnen,  thank you so much for developing the lilypond .app bundle!  I need
that to be able to use multiple versions of lilypond with Frescobaldi on OSX.
I'm really happy that you've done this work!

Thanks,

Carl