lilypond-devel

Re: a new way to build LilyPond binary releases

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: a new way to build LilyPond binary releases
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 11:38:13 -0500

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 10:56 AM Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:
> Please let me know if something doesn't work at all

That sounds like an interesting project. I tested the Windows version,
and it works. I got a PDF from compiling { c' } as a hello-world test.

Now, is this supposed to be a 64-bit application? I can easily get
confused about 64-bit MinGW vs 64-bit applications on it. LilyPond's
32-bit Windows version is susceptible to out-of-memory crashes.

<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2018-12/msg00408.html>

I tried the test in that thread, on both the official LilyPond 2.19.84
and the binary you shared. Both crash, but with slightly different
error messages:

Offical 2.19.84 says...
Preprocessing graphical objects...terminate called after throwing an
instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc

This binary from GitHub says...
Preprocessing graphical objects...Exception code=0xc0000005 flags=0x0
at 0x00000000005056A5. Access violation - attempting to read data at
address 0x0000000000000000

The computer running those has Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1909, Intel Core
i5-3450, 24GB RAM.

LilyPond's 32-bit macOS version was similarly affected, and the
apparent out-of-memory crash was resolved by recent efforts that build
64-bit macOS applications. If the GitHub binary isn't expected to be
64-bit, then this whole issue is probably a distraction at this time
and can be disregarded until attempting 64-bit Windows builds.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA