Re: a new way to build LilyPond binary releases

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: a new way to build LilyPond binary releases
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 14:43:08 +0100

Am Mittwoch, den 11.03.2020, 19:17 +0100 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
> Am Mittwoch, den 11.03.2020, 11:38 -0500 schrieb Karlin High:
> > On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 10:56 AM Jonas Hahnfeld <
> > address@hidden
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > Please let me know if something doesn't work at all
> >
> > That sounds like an interesting project. I tested the Windows version,
> > and it works. I got a PDF from compiling { c' } as a hello-world test.
> >
> > Now, is this supposed to be a 64-bit application? I can easily get
> > confused about 64-bit MinGW vs 64-bit applications on it. LilyPond's
> > 32-bit Windows version is susceptible to out-of-memory crashes.
>
> Yes, this is supposed to be a 64bit executable and I had really hoped
> that it puts an end to the out-of-memory crashes.
>
> > <
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2018-12/msg00408.html
> >

> > I tried the test in that thread, on both the official LilyPond 2.19.84
> > and the binary you shared. Both crash, but with slightly different
> > error messages:
> >
> > Offical 2.19.84 says...
> > Preprocessing graphical objects...terminate called after throwing an
> > instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
> >   what():  std::bad_alloc
> >
> > This binary from GitHub says...
> > Preprocessing graphical objects...Exception code=0xc0000005 flags=0x0
> > at 0x00000000005056A5. Access violation - attempting to read data at
> > address 0x0000000000000000
>
> Hmm, that's not really better, is it? The good thing is that I can
> reproduce a crash with the binary for GNU/Linux, so it's got to do with
> the way the scripts build statically. I'll take a look.

As I just replied to Frederico, I found the issue with how the scripts
build bdw-gc. Now the linux version is able to compile a somewhat
reduced version of the linked example. The mingw executable now also
works under wine, but it'd be great if you could test the full version
(and possibly other large scores) on your system. The link is:
https://github.com/hahnjo/lilypond-binaries/releases/tag/2020-03-12

Jonas