Re: config.status has been broken by issue 5780 "Accept GUILE 2 without

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: config.status has been broken by issue 5780 "Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options"
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 23:03:12 -0600

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 8:08 AM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Anthony Fok <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Thank you all for your kind considerations to system integrators like me.
> > :-D
> >
> > I recently submitted a patch to Denemo to get its configure.ca to
> > check for (hence support) guile-2.2 too because guile-2.0 is going
> > away in Debian:
> >
> >  * https://github.com/denemo/denemo/commit/9c6ad2d
> >  * https://github.com/denemo/denemo/blob/master/configure.ac#L103-L120
> >
> > It appears Denemo has been using pkg-config and not guile-config.
> >
> > Not sure if it helps at all, but this is my 2 cents to the discussion.
> >
> > Thank you all so much for your hard work getting LilyPond 2.20.0
> > ready!  It is in Debian now.
>
> Oh, that was fast.  Presumably with a private version of Guile-1.8, as
> it was with 2.18, right?

Yes, you are right indeed!  The Debian package for LilyPond 2.20.0 is
indeed packaged with its own copy of Guile-1.8, partly because it
meant no major change to packaging, and especially because Dr. Tobias
Quathamer has been keeping LilyPond 2.19.x up-to-date in Debian
experimental, all the way up to 2.19.83.  And also because we read on
this mailing list that LilyPond 2.20.0 with Guile-2.2 is still
experimental.

> Thanks for helping to bring 2.20 to "the masses" without further delay!
> It's taken embarrassingly long for us to get there, so it's great that
> it's carried on and distributed at a different pace.

Thank you for your praises and flattering!  But the fact is, Debian's
LilyPond got removed from bullseye (testing) as early as 13 December
2019 due to two FTBFS (fail to build from source) bugs, and it took us
a while (over two months) to finally come up with something that
builds again, and the solution is found only in 2.20.0 (Ghostscript
9.50 new -dSAFER default requiring -dNOSAFER override).  So yeah,
2.20.0 arrives at just the right time for us to package it, or at
least to study it for the backported fix, so it is also a happy
coincidence that we got it packaged relatively quickly.  See
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/lilypond for more information.

Now I am hoping that it will get into Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal) too; we
missed the (automatic) Debian Import Freeze deadline (see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseSchedule), so manual
intervention is required, see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lilypond/+bug/1867129

Cheers,