Re: config.status has been broken by issue 5780 "Accept GUILE 2 without

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: config.status has been broken by issue 5780 "Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options"
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 11:42:43 +0100

Am Samstag, den 14.03.2020, 11:36 +0100 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Jonas Hahnfeld <
> address@hidden
> > writes:
>
> > Am Samstag, den 14.03.2020, 11:17 +0100 schrieb David Kastrup:
> > > Jonas Hahnfeld <
> > > address@hidden

> > > Is there a reason we should not be catering well to either?
> >
> > I still don't understand who your "main target" is. Wrt "system
> > integrators" Anthony wrote that breaking compatibility is fine (for
> > major versions) as long as there is documentation.
>
> Our current state is breaking things silently and without documentation
> that were required to get things working before.
>
> The consequences are different for different people, depending on their
> contact with LilyPond and their skill sets in dealing with such
> problems.  This is a problem with keeping our current processes
> depending on volunteers operating as expected.  That also maps to people
> expected to compile their own versions.  Distributions like those for
> Debian, FreeBSD and more recently also MacOSX work independently from
> our core developer team and should be able to get results they expect.
>
> What is the problem you are trying to address with your "main target"
> question?

I'm trying to find a way forward so we can get 2.21.0 released. I've
thrown out a few ideas which you've all said we should not do. So what
do you want?! This discussion is dead without knowing that.

Let me rephrase what I think we should do:
1) Keep using pkg-config to find Guile.
2) Add an error if we detect that a configuration uses the old
GUILE_CONFIG.
3) Add documentation about how to make pkg-config find the right
version of Guile, saying that 1.8 is still the one you should target
for now.

Jonas