Re: scripts/build/scan-mf-deps: script to generate MF dependencies (issu

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: scripts/build/scan-mf-deps: script to generate MF dependencies (issue 553700043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 16:09:58 +0100 (CET)

>> What's the motivation to use Python for all of this?
>
> What's the motivation to use sh for all this?
>
> You can certainly make it shorter with shell, but will it be
> significantly simpler, easier to understand or easier to maintain?
>
> I decided for Python in this case, because recursion seems like
> something I don't want to do in a sh script.

I agree with Han-Wen.

Jonas, the rule is very simple: Use whatever you think is best.  A
contributor invests time and has to make sure that the code works and
is well-documented.  But why should we enforce a certain programming
language (of the ones we already use, that is)?

For example, if I contributed a more complicated script, it would be
written in Perl...

    Werner