Re: stale git branches

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: stale git branches
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 15:33:06 +0200

Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> following removal of dev/translation-* branches, I took a closer look
> at stale branches. I think it would make sense to keep unscoped
> branches (outside of dev/user/) to a minimum. This should also avoid
> overlooking old changes that have not been merged yet.
> The following list is by no means complete, but maybe a good start:
>
> dev/pango contains commits:
> 53ed2b55e2 Add a RAII wrapper for extracting FT_Face from PangoFcFont
> c93c477180 Make Pango >= 1.36 mandatory.
> in master:
> 9cf8d35e8c Add a RAII wrapper for extracting FT_Face from PangoFcFont
> 15b7118410 Make Pango >= 1.36 mandatory.
> I'm fairly certain the branch can be removed.

git rebase origin origin/dev/pango

ends up with no commit on top.  So yes.

> Branches dev/issue3300,

Mine, but actually issue 3330.  Removed.

> dev/issue3330, dev/issue3648 are likely related
> to the named issues which have status 'Verified'. AFAICS there are some
> additional commits in the branches, could be due to review comments?
> David, you are probably the best to judge if they are fully merged or
> some changes could still be relevant, could you take a look?
>
> As far as I understand, master now also has the relevant commits from
> dev/guile-v2-work, dev/guilev2, and dev/guilev21? Can those branches be
> dropped to avoid possible confusion about the current status?

Will followup on all those later.

> Then there are some dev/user/ branches. I consider these relatively
> "private" to that person and would not propose to delete them on a
> global basis. Still maybe everyone can take a look and delete unused
> personal branches on their own?

origin/dev/rune may be considered an epitaph.  I don't think anybody
ever attempted merging what this was about: maybe it's in the interest
area of Hans Aberg.  Whether or not somebody does an assessment of it at
one point of time, I think it appropriate to leave it as-is, including
not rebasing/rewriting any of it in-place.

I'll readily agree that there is a disconcerting large set of other
apparently semi-dead branches by living people, most of them likely
unaware of what they left lying there.  There may be some point in going
through and mailing them about what they think best to do here.