Re: Resolving standoffs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Resolving standoffs
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 17:47:17 +0200

> Finally you claim that my incompetence ("[Han-Wen] would not
> be able") is a factor in this discussion. I obviously disagree with
> this assessment. I'll let https://codereview.appspot.com/575990043/
> speak for itself.

I would not call it incompetence if realising the benefits of an
approach that involves restructuring a significant way of LilyPond's
line break mechanism and property access methods both for
context-managed hierarchical property presets and for the ways they are
accessed from within LilyPond and by the user is not feasible within a
week.

There is a reason this is a long-term development project rather than
something that can be established with a single patch.  Reaping the
respective benefits requires different and complex rewrites of various
parts of LilyPond to match the respective ways of accessing properties.

It was _your_ statement that your attempts to do so did not show
suitable benefits.  But I don't see that this precludes arranging
LilyPond in a manner where it becomes easier for anybody else to perform
experiments with different approaches.  Of course there is no guarantee
for the success of such experiments before they are done, but there is
no point in blocking them either.

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".