Re: Execute build scripts directly from source (issue 545870043 by addre

From: jonas . hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Execute build scripts directly from source (issue 545870043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 13:56:28 -0700

Reviewers: lemzwerg,

Message:

https://codereview.appspot.com/545870043/diff/549860043/make/doc-i18n-root-rules.make

https://codereview.appspot.com/545870043/diff/549860043/make/doc-i18n-root-rules.make#newcode10
> make/doc-i18n-root-rules.make:10: find $(outdir)/$* -name '*.html' |
xargs grep
> -L 'UNTRANSLATED NODE: IGNORE ME' | sed 's!$(outdir)/!!g' | xargs
$(PYTHON)
> $(buildscript-dir)/mass-link.py --prepend-suffix .$(ISOLANG) hard
$(outdir)
> $(top-build-dir)/Documentation/$(outdir)
> If you are going to change that please shorten the lines to 80 chars
if
> possible.

There are far too many long lines, especially in the docs build. I don't
want to make this change now, it was already complicated enough to test
all rules for this patch.

https://codereview.appspot.com/545870043/diff/549860043/scripts/build/help2man.pl

https://codereview.appspot.com/545870043/diff/549860043/scripts/build/help2man.pl#oldcode1

https://codereview.appspot.com/545870043/diff/549860043/scripts/build/mf2pt1.pl

https://codereview.appspot.com/545870043/diff/549860043/scripts/build/mf2pt1.pl#oldcode1
> scripts/build/mf2pt1.pl:1: #!@PERL@
> Again an imported script, which should ideally stay unmodified for
easy import
> of newer versions.

Unfortunately that's not possible. See the (now deleted) explanations in
stepmake/stepmake/help2man-rules.make about Perl's handling of #! lines.
Besides, the original files surely don't have @PERL@ in them, do they?

Execute build scripts directly from source

The only meaningful substitutions used by scripts/build are @PERL@
and @PYTHON@. This can be moved to the invocation, getting rid of
many dependencies across directories.

Also contains:
 - Remove unused doc-i18n-root-rules
   lilypond-*.info and index.*.html only exist in Documentation, not
   for every language.

 - Run grand-replace in source directory
   While at it, fix it for Python 3 so that I'm able to test.

Please review this at https://codereview.appspot.com/545870043/

Affected files (+76, -233 lines):
  M Documentation/GNUmakefile
  M Documentation/logo/GNUmakefile
  M Documentation/ly-examples/GNUmakefile
  M GNUmakefile.in
  M aclocal.m4
  M configure.ac
  M elisp/GNUmakefile
  M lily/GNUmakefile
  M make/doc-i18n-root-rules.make
  M make/doc-i18n-root-targets.make
  M make/generic-vars.make
  M make/lilypond-book-rules.make
  M make/lilypond-vars.make
  M make/ly-rules.make
  M make/midi-rules.make
  M mf/GNUmakefile
  M mf/invoke-mf2pt1.sh
  M python/GNUmakefile
  M scripts/build/GNUmakefile
  M scripts/build/bib2texi.py
  M scripts/build/compile.py
  M scripts/build/create-version-itexi.py
  M scripts/build/create-weblinks-itexi.py
  M scripts/build/extract_texi_filenames.py
  M scripts/build/fix-docsize.sh
  M scripts/build/genicon.py
  M scripts/build/grand-replace.py
  M scripts/build/help2man.pl
  M scripts/build/install.py
  M scripts/build/lilypond-words.py
  M scripts/build/lys-to-tely.py
  M scripts/build/make-version.py
  M scripts/build/makesnippets.py
  M scripts/build/mass-link.py
  M scripts/build/mf-to-table.py
  M scripts/build/mf2pt1.pl
  M scripts/build/output-distance.py
  M scripts/build/pytt.py
  M scripts/build/relative.py
  M scripts/build/text2html.py
  M scripts/build/yyout2grammar.py
  M stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make
  M stepmake/stepmake/generic-vars.make
  M stepmake/stepmake/help2man-rules.make
  M stepmake/stepmake/texinfo-rules.make
  M stepmake/stepmake/texinfo-targets.make
  M vim/GNUmakefile