Extracting approximate outlines from FT ?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Extracting approximate outlines from FT ?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 18:53:25 +0200

Hi Werner,

I've been looking into performance, and one big source of slowness is
calculating skylines. I found that we calculate exact skylines based
on glyph shapes for some symbols.

For example, for the F clef, we compute an outline of 23 and 20
segments, based on sampling the exact bezier curves in the glyph. This
is silly (because the F clef is obscured by the staff symbol), but
even if it weren't, it seems extremely expensive overkill. Can you
recommend a mechanism by which we can get a linear approximation of
the curve directly out of freetype?