Re: Patchy email

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Patchy email
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 19:44:49 +0200

Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> writes:

> On 4/19/20, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Note that the delete-file instructions are executed while the book is
>> being read in while markup is typeset when the books are being processed
>> at the end of the input file.
>
> Yes, it looked completely bonkers to me as well, until I realized it worked
> :-)
>
>> No idea whether the fonts made it into
>> LilyPond at that point of time, or how happy LilyPond is with them
>> appearing.
>
> No, because at this point the first \book has already been processed,
> and even GS should already be invoked. That’s the whole point of
> putting that stuff inside another \book.

There is no point in putting the deletion of files "inside another
\book" since it is not being executed when the book is typeset but when
the book is read in.

>> There may well be race conditions here.
>
> Well, AFAIK there’s no parallelism inside a same .ly file being
> processed for different \book outputs. (If there _was_, that would be
> great news though!)

Again: file creation and deletion happens while the book is being read
in, typesetting happens when the book is being processed.  File handles
will tend to stick around until garbage collected.  That is not as much
"parallelism" as an absence of order.