lilypond-devel

Re: poll: switching our development platform

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: poll: switching our development platform
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:31:57 +0100

On 21/04/2020 18:54, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 15.04.2020, 21:15 +0200 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
With 2.21.0 done, I'd like to restart discussion about switching our
development platform. To recall, we had proposals about using Gerrit
[1] (don't miss follow-ups in March [2]) and GitLab / gitlab.com [3].

[...]

To conclude, I believe we should choose one of Gerrit and GitLab and
have a trial to see if the processes can be carried over. (If not, we
can still give the other platform a try.)
I'd propose we kind of vote, so please reply with your thoughts.
Okay, so let me try to briefly summarize the expressed opinions on the
list so far (correct me if I got something wrong or missed a point):
Han-Wen is in favor of Gerrit; David leans towards GitLab; Federico and
me are in favor of GitLab; Werner is fine with both solutions.
David, Dan, and Federico comment that Gerrit would still leaves us with
SF for hosting the issues; James says that image attachments (without
sharing links) are a good thing to have - as far as I understand for
both bug reports and reviews.

Given that I would like to propose that we carry a trial of gitlab.com.
I would have liked this to happen in the https://gitlab.com/lilypond
group, but I haven't heard back from Janek on granting access. So I guess I
will prune the previous test migration and dump the current set of issues to
also make sure that we're satisfied with the migration script. I'll announce
once ready and whoever wants to participate can send me the username on
gitlab.com to add to the project.

Jonas

Let me know how this will affect my work with patch countdown and/or if there is anything you'd like me to start doing / checking to help speed this up.

Regards

James