Re: Verifying fixes?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Verifying fixes?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 18:18:29 +0000

On 4/23/20, 12:11 PM, "Jonas Hahnfeld" <address@hidden> wrote:

Am Donnerstag, den 23.04.2020, 17:26 +0000 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
> As I was reviewing Jonas's test review environment on GitLab, I noticed that
> there were tons of closed issues that had not been verified.
>
> I went back and looked on SourceForge, and found that we have 587 issues that
> are listed with status of Fixed and do not have the label Fixed_2_21_1 (which
> has not yet been released, so they cannot be verified).
>
> I think our long delay between releases as we worked out the bugs in our
> release system got us out of the habit of Verifying the fixes.
>
> Do you believe we should Verify the fixes, or should we just leave the issues
> closed without verification?  I'm willing to spend some time doing the
> verification, if we think it's valuable to do so.

So what does "Verify" mean, making sure that the bug is indeed fixed?
(I can't imagine how this makes sense for patches.)

CDS-> It means making sure that the commit is in fact in the commit history of
the listed version.  And it's also a good idea to check the regression tests.
See
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor/bug-squad-checklists
under "Regular maintenance".

CDS-> I'm not sure that we need to continue to do this, but we do have that as
part of our process.  That's why I asked.

Carl