Re: Issue 3778: Use bounding box as skylines for markup in svg backend (

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: Issue 3778: Use bounding box as skylines for markup in svg backend (issue 582010043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 09:46:43 +0100

On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 01:16:30AM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> On 2020/05/02 07:38:58, hanwenn wrote:
> > I don't completely understand, though: if we put the "utf-8-string"
> directly
> > into the SVG output, the SVG browser might make other font choices,
> making the
> > outline potentially incorrect. Is this a problem in practice?

"utf-8-string" never appeared directly in the svg output and that
doesn't change.  Typically (without changing options) you would end up
with <text font-family="serif"></text>.

> There isn't really an "outline" anymore; the bounding box is used. That
> is based on the specified font, but if a font were substituted, there
> will be slight differences. They wouldn't be too big though and so
> wouldn't be a problem.

Yes, and to expand on this:
- lilypond was *already* falling back on the bounding box for
  pure utf-8-string stencils
- but when a grob mixed utf-8-string stencils with something else (a
  note for example), it would give the grob a skyline *just* from the
  note, meaning the text portion of the grob would collide with other
  grobs
- this patch changes the behaviour of stencils that mix utf-8-string and
  other kinds of stencil to be the same as pure utf-8-string (i.e. fall
  back to the bounding box).