Re: migrating to GitLab

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: migrating to GitLab
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 10:17:48 +0200

Le 08/05/2020 à 08:57, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
I haven't heard further objections which, for me, means we are going
with GitLab. If you don't agree, now's your final time to speak up.
Otherwise I would like to tackle the migration rather soon to take
advantage of the new opportunities :-)

This leads me to some final considerations:
[...]

3) The idea is to have the "main" repository at GitLab, next to the
issues and merge requests. This leads to the question what to do with
Savannah because git is distributed anyway. I first thought about only
pushing "important" branches and tags to GitLab (master, stable/*,
release/*). Switching platforms would actually be one of the few
opportunities to do so - in particular tags are hard to get rid of.
However most of us are probably going to reuse their local repository,
just updating the URL. While GitLab has options to prevent pushing
certain refs, that's probably not a great idea. So I guess I'll just
push an identical copy to GitLab unless somebody has a better proposal.

Please don't forget the translation branch. BTW, will the merry-go-round (master->translation->staging) have to be played the same way?

Jean-Charles