Re: migrating to GitLab

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: migrating to GitLab
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 11:22:03 +0200

Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Samstag, den 09.05.2020, 16:11 -0400 schrieb Dan Eble:
>> >
>> > It's sort of a hen and egg problem: if we want to have all that before,
>> > it increases the workload for those preparing the migration and they
>> > have to guess.
>> >
>> > I totally agree that the CG should reflect the new workflows.  But at
>> > the time we do the switch, those new workflows are still in flux.
>>
>> I understand Carl's perspective, but I'm on the side of jumping in.
>> I don't expect that we'll be inundated with newbie contributors
>> between now and the time we figure out what to put in the CG.
>>
>> Maybe we could put in a minimal note referring to the project on
>> GitLab and explaining that a more thorough CG revision is pending.
>
> Sure, I can prepare such update. But as written roughly the same time
> yesterday, we need to release 2.21.2 in order for that to be uploaded.
>
> In any case it's not clear to me whether I should prepare for the
> migration today or not. This would be less frustrating if other high-
> volume developers (including but not limited to David, Han-Wen, Werner)
> commented on the plan...

I am not looking forward to the transition period but I don't see that
we gain anything by postponing.  And I am glad that you are taking the
initiative here.  So my opinion is to get rolling and see where it gets
us.  And while it would be annoying to have to use it, it's not like we
don't have the old setup as fallback.