Re: Re[2]: labels on GitLab

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Re[2]: labels on GitLab
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 08:19:54 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 12.05.2020, 17:08 +0000 schrieb Trevor:
> Jonas, you wrote 12/05/2020 14:49:27
>
> > Actually I think we should use milestones for this. They can be closed
> > and don't clutter the labels.
> > This comes with the disadvantage that there can be at most one
> > milestone set (which you also get with the scoped labels). This is not
> > correct for some patches that have been backported. I'm still building
> > ideas for how to handle this.
> Why do we need labels indicating a patch has been applied to several
> releases when a patch has been back-ported? Indicating the earliest
> release to which the patch has been applied should be adequate, or
> am I missing something here?

This would be easiest solution for this. But some strategy is required
because we do have issues with multiple labels applied right now. As I
said, I think this needs some thought and discussion first.

> Scoping the Fixed labels sounds good to me.

This would still leave us with 329 labels even after merging duplicates
(if my script is to be trusted). All of these will be listed in the
dropdown for eternity, right next to things like "Regression" and such.
With milestones instead we can close all except the last three or so,
and they will not be selectable for new issues. This shrinks the list
considerably and makes the UI much easier to use.

Jonas