Re: mirror GitLab -> Savannah

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: mirror GitLab -> Savannah
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 22:39:53 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 14.05.2020, 22:22 +0200 schrieb Valentin Villenave:
> On 5/14/20, Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:
> > To keep this short: I'd like to enable push mirroring from GitLab to
> > Savannah for the following branches [1]:
> >  - master
> >  - release/unstable
> >  - stable/*
> >  - translation*
>
> Why not staging? (Assuming that’s still gonna be a thing in months to come.)

Partly because of the latter, hopefully we'll not live with this
forever. More concretely because development happens at GitLab. As such
nobody should be relying on Savannah, least of all for pushing. So even
if we continue using it, it doesn't provide a value being mirrored from
GitLab to Savannah.
Lastly because of what David wrote: Force pushing is a problem. Apart
from Savannah not accepting it, I also don't want to make staging a
protected branch on GitLab (then you can't even delete it, which is
what we did to workaround). And we can have either all branches or only
protected ones...

> By the way, I still haven’t understood why it would be
> necessary/advisable to erase all the old branches on Savannah. (I’m
> thinking about a few branches that may or may not be of historical
> interest, such as cvs/master and some of the dev/* branches.)

Note that this proposal is not about deleting anything for now. However
I never understood why we have both branches and tags for something
that's never going to change such as
 - cvs/HEAD <-> cvs/master
 - tarball/HEAD <-> tarball/master
Not changing is exactly the property of tags...

Jonas