Re: [RFC] Enabling GitLab CI

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [RFC] Enabling GitLab CI
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 14:29:19 +0200

Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Dienstag, den 19.05.2020, 08:08 -0400 schrieb Dan Eble:
>> On May 17, 2020, at 15:27, Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > before merging. As we only allow fast-forward merges, this means each
>> > MR has received testing in the form it hits master. This would
>> > effectively replace the current setup of pushing to staging.
>>
>> I'm for this.
>
> Thanks. What do others (David, Han-Wen, Valentin) think about this?
> There's certainly room for improvement, but with an initial setup I can
> start writing documentation.

The "traffic jam" problem could be avoided by retaining the option of
pushing to staging.  That would occur without CI, but one could
occasionally trigger the merge with CI on staging to have everything in
it migrate to master.  Since staging would be used by the more
experienced people desiring to bunch their work before testing, the
triggering could also happen manually by whoever thinks he has pushed
enough stuff to staging to give it a whirl.