Re: new procedure with GitLab CI

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: new procedure with GitLab CI
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 13:19:32 +0100

On 24/05/2020 12:09, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
Am Sonntag, den 24.05.2020, 11:41 +0100 schrieb James Lowe:
OK. Using Masamichi's MR as an example (nothing personal Hosoda-san!) I
saw that his MR !81 came up via countdown.py - I am using the latest
update of this BTW - so looking at this MR via the web I could not tell
if this had done its make doc or not.

A few mins later I saw your email/update in the ticket to Hosoda-san and
and I can also see a new commit/MR update in the same thread and that
!81 still appears in the countdown.py list.

So has this done a make doc or not? I am still unsure at this point.
I can't tell you for sure either. It could be that the fork at
https://gitlab.com/trueroad/lilypond has Pipelines enabled, but only
visible to project members. Hosoda-san, could you check this in your
project? The drop-down is at Settings > General > Visibility ... >
Pipelines. I'm guessing here, could be something else...
Because the jobs appear to have run, see the green check at the commit
That's also what the API tells, but we don't see the logs 😞

See: https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/pipelines (as of 11:25BST anyway)

It has (had) no mention of !81 and I cannot see anything in the thread
that says it has passed make doc.
I think this is because pipelines for merge requests run in the context
of the forked project, see
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/merge_request_pipelines/index.html#important-notes-about-merge-requests-from-forked-projects

FWIW the same happens for my merge requests, see the page at
https://gitlab.com/hahnjo/lilypond/pipelines

So now I am unsure what to do, because if I run my new set of tests I
*won't* be doing make doc, and if I change this MR to Patch::review and
it hasn't had a make doc, then it will go through the countdown not
tested properly right?

Q1. What cases will I get a false positive with countdown.py if a MR has
not had a make doc done - this seems, at the moment to be user-error prone.

Q2. How can I be sure (at least for the first few dozen or so patch
tests) that the MR really has done the make doc via CI? (i.e. without
the script) should I see the MR in that URL I listed above?
You should see it at the individual MR, can you check
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/82
?

I am still not certain. Sorry to be a pain here.

!83 and !84 show me no pipeline has been run yet the patches are on the list to test.

!81 has just now changed from 'unable to get pipeline information' to looking like it has passed

So, and you didn't answer this specific question, if I set the label to 'review' before the pipeline runs will make doc still run? and if it does and it fails will the label change so it doesn't stay in the county down.

I know we're still finding our feet here, but I need a relatively 'fire and forget' method that doesn't have me hunting around the very busy interface (I have a harder time compared to Allura/Rietveld following discussions nested in amongst a lot of other noise I don't care about).

Perhaps we need another 'patch' label, i.e. Patch::new = Patch merged but not doc tested rather than what it is at the moment. Then they can be listed but I don't test them for make check. Then we have a Patch::passed kind of label that I do test and then it moves to 'review' etc.

That way I know for certain which patches to test and everyone else can see if their patch is in the pipeline or not.

James