Re: helping with testing resources

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: helping with testing resources
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 19:45:32 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 26.05.2020, 12:22 -0500 schrieb Karlin High:
> On 5/23/2020 1:00 PM, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
> > If you have spare hardware and / or want to help with CI testing
>
> I've built LilyPond from source a number of times, but not to mastery of
> the process. And I have a computer shop and lots of hardware choices,
> and wonder what to set up for best service here. What is usually the
> resource constraint for building LilyPond - CPU, RAM, or disk I/O?

The really time consuming part of the CI pipeline is documentation
build which scales badly already with 2-4 threads. So probably
something with a high frequency? I don't have a comparison though.

In any case my laptop hasn't been assigned a single job since Saturday,
the shared runners poll too frequently and grab any queued job. Right
now this isn't a problem because we're way below the maximum of ~25
full pipelines per day. We can of course still add our resources, but
they might not be used all that much.

Jonas