Re: new procedure with GitLab CI

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: new procedure with GitLab CI
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 11:00:23 +0200

On 6/4/20, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
> Actually, I had anticipated a long thread full of reactionson bothof the
> above options, but not such a silence. Anyone? (I won't feel offended if
> you find my proposal dumb!)

Well, you have to account for the fatigue :-)

I’m not knowledgeable enough to discuss the benefits and downsides of
merge commits vs fast-foward rebase, so I’ll leave it to others.  But
I think you make a valid point in that our current linear
mandatory-rebase strategy is cumbersome, heavy on the CI pipelines and
generating a lot of noise.

That being said, that’s only one of the three issues I raised in my
latest message (the other two being: how we’ll be handling Issue pages
from now on, and how patch reviewing can be made a bit more lenient
and smoother).

Jonas has started updating the CG, but that’s bound to reach a
roadblock if the underlying policies are not discussed and agreed upon
first.

Cheers,
-- V.