Re: Texinfo - manual line breaks in URLs?

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Re: Texinfo - manual line breaks in URLs?
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 15:00:48 +0200

Am 10.06.2020 um 11:08 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
Is there a reason for this inconsistency? How is it supposed to be?
 From what I gather, that’s merely because Werner’s been looking
elsewhere for the past 16 years :-)
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/commit/?id=cae1b39741a43547e3f4add29416f24d681e1156
:-)

Now, I’m not convinced this is entirely necessary for reasonably
short URLs (and it may even compromise readability).  But it
absolutely is (or rather, should be) warranted for long URLs,
particularly where the PDF manuals are concerned.
I believe that it is no longer necessary to insert `@/` under normal
circumstances.  I would rather go the other way, this is, removing all
`@/` commands.

The `@uref` texinfo command has been greatly improved in the last few
years; see chapter 'URL Line Breaking' in the texinfo info pages.

BTW, I'm a fan of breaking URLs like

   foo
   .bar
   /baz

instead of

   foo.
   bar/
   baz

to avoid potential confusion with full stops and the like.  This
feature can be activated with

   @urefbreakstyle before

(this has an effect only for PDF output).  Shall we use that?
I can prepare a version of the docs with all occurences of '@/' removed and
'@urefbreakstyle before' set, so that everyone can compare and build an
opinion
on this.