Can you give a sample ETF file? and other questions

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Can you give a sample ETF file? and other questions
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 17:30:30 +0200

Hi,

As I'm currently trying to get familiar with Python code in LilyPond, I'd like to make a few tests to evaluate what can or should be tidied up and what should be removed, as there are some bits of code in that situation.

That's how I stumbled on etf2ly. There are no regression tests and I couldn't find a single ETF file across the Net to see how the script's output looks like. Can anyone provide one?

ETF is Finale's former exchange format, which they deprecated in favor of MusicXML. Finale can no longer export to ETF starting from Finale 2007. It's still able to import ETF though. Perhaps etf2ly could go to the trash...

From a general point fo view, it would be helpful to have some context about the scripts. Which of them do you think are the most widely used? Among those, musicxml2ly is obviously the most helpful, but I don't quite know about the others. The ABC format looks still active, and the Score extension in Wikipedia supports it through abc2ly, but I'm unsure wether it's frequently used. Same goes for midi2ly: MIDI is a common format but it isn't very well-suited for exporting to a printed form, I think; and it can be easily converted to MusicXML (through MuseScore for example).

Last, what are lilysong and lilymidi for?

Cheers,
Jean Abou Samra