Re: Texinfo - manual line breaks in URLs?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Texinfo - manual line breaks in URLs?
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 20:26:17 +0200 (CEST)

> I do not fully understand what you mean by "this is the right way
> for the next development version",

The one that has ben just released – 2.21.2.

> however - if you think it is feasible to upgrade to the most recent
> texinfo.tex version, with the seealso->moreref changes and possibly
> further adjustments, why not update now?

Yes, we should do an update now.

> Seems pretty hacky to me to patch a present version of 'texi2dvi'
> for using it.  Maybe we can ship the whole 'texi2dvi' script, as we
> do it for texinfo.tex?  That way we could ensure that texinfo.tex
> and texi2dvi are always compatible.

I'm not sure what the best solution would be...

> See the results here:
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1czVl2glLVoQiUOLu1mvnWh9hozivaPuC?usp=sharing
>
> Green color = reference version with texinfo.tex from out repo
> Red color = version with texinfo.tex from aforementioned commit

This looks strange.  The red version is the newer one, right?  What I
see is that the URLs are broken in the middle of lines, leaving huge
gaps to the right margin.  This looks extremely ugly.

The index changes look fishy, too: Everything typeset in typewriter is
indented incorrectly by a space.

> As a next step, now that David's MR is in, I would try to update to
> current texinfo.tex and compare the output again.  Then I could try
> to remove the @/ occurrences and as a last step set @urefbreakstyle
> before.

Thanks.  I will also do a complete doc run with old and new
texinfo.tex versions, probably today evening.  Then I will do some
debugging if necessary.

    Werner