Re: Accidentals' font

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: Accidentals' font
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2020 15:43:28 +0100

> Again, I hope I am not unpleasant and polemic

In my opinion, you are being both. If your goal was genuinely to
encourage improvements in LilyPond, then I hope it's clear from the
response that you are going about it in a poor way. Acting like it's
obvious that LilyPond's default font is badly designed is insulting,
and hiding insults behind your "opinion" isn't fooling anyone - it
just comes across as superior / talking down. If fonts were so easily
comparable as you are pretending, then we wouldn't have so many of
them.

The philosophy behind the design of LilyPond's default font was to
imitate plate engraving (which results in thicker lines than computer
engraving, partly because of "squeeze"), not to imitate another
computer font like Gonville, so all this Gonville talk is hot air. If
you don't like them that's not the fault of the font.

Regarding the attachments: in my opinion the lines in the sharp symbol
in Gonville are too thin and too close together - I have to squint at
it to see the gap properly. And for the clef test I actually don't
perceive any real difference other than the "C" for the time signature
(and again, I prefer the thicker version).

Kevin