Re: non web_version of web.texi ?

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: non web_version of web.texi ?
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 09:36:54 +0200

Am Montag, den 06.07.2020, 18:48 -0700 schrieb Graham Percival:
> On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 11:26:46AM +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> > Just for clarity, I'm not against having web.texi as an info file or
> > PDF file. It's just that I want to get rid of the special casing of
> > web_version, which (when switched) off produces a doc with less links.
>
> Ah sorry, it's been a while.  It looks like web_version is
> essentially:
>
> if web_version
>     LilyPond looks amazing, for example
>     @uref{examples.html#Classical-Music, classical music}
>     @uref{examples.html#Complex-Notation, complex notation},
> else
>     LilyPond looks amazing and can display classical music.
> endif
>

> Do the @uref lines look reasonable in info and pdf output?
> It's possible that I just assumed that it wouldn't work, and added
> an unnecessary "fix".
> (Come to think of it, it might be possible to replace those lines
> with simple @ref{}s.)
>

> if web_version
>     @divIf{homepage-sidebar}
>     ... links to download and manuals page...
>
>     @html
>        ... some kind of javascript...
>     @end html
>
> endif

I think replacing the above instances with @ifhtml is fine (even though
the explicit links are probably broken in web-big-page, but that's a
different story).
The situation is less clear for @macro ifWebLinks and downloads as well
as links to the manuals: Without web_version, this links to the files
for that VERSION which is correct for local builds and more importantly
for the uploaded documentation from GUB. With web_version, it links to
the current VERSION_STABLE which is the desirable outcome for the
public website. I don't see a solution for this.

Jonas