Re: branching stable/2.22?

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: branching stable/2.22?
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 22:52:48 +0200

Am Samstag, den 12.09.2020, 14:21 +0200 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:

> >> Aah, I tried without `out=www`.  This incantation is good enough for
> >> me, thanks.  No further action needed.
> >
> > Actually that's the same as before, no?
>
> No.  Previously, `notation.pdf` was a first-class target: If you
> deleted it, a call to `make doc` rebuilt it.  This is no longer the
> case: Today, creating this PDF file is a side effect only.

Right, that one is on me:

commit f427a26e3d238af25cd4a8fe385be5faebd0c59f
Author: Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de>
Date:   Mon Aug 31 22:01:01 2020 +0200

    doc: Use real target for result of build-doc-tree

    Avoid rebuilding the tree when recursing into Documentation/ multiple
    times during 'make doc' which can take a considerable amount of time.
    While at it, give 'make website' the same treatment and clean up some
    variables and their uses or remove if not referenced anymore.

See https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/402 for a
possible fix, correctly handling webdoc requires another recursion.

> > Actually, I value faster incremental builds that sometimes does less
> > over wasting my time always regenerating the internals manual
> > whenever I happen to touch an SCM file. Just doing
> >
> >  $ rm Documentation/out*/en/internals.texi
> >
> > will update it, no need to remember any command.
>
> What about making this a Makefile target, to be mentioned in `make
> help`?

Documenting might be worth it, not sure we need a target.

Jonas